Funds are available
The Housing Trust provides first time homebuyers access to purchase assistance programs for low to middle–income households. Since 2001, 40% of all down payment assistance loans have been made to low-income families with the remainder going to moderate-income families. First time homebuyers can review key program information about available down payment assistance or closing costs grant programs. Eligibility for each program will vary and are based on income eligibility. Income eligibility is determined by the annual gross household income, household size, loan repayment terms and maximum loan amount.
Income Limits- Each program has a maximum annual gross household income limit or cap depending on the household size. Annual gross household income is based on the annual gross income of all adult household members. The annual gross is determined by review of all adult household members’ current paystubs.
Housing Trust Silicon Valley is proud to offer first time homebuyers the opportunity to apply for one of the following programs:
Homebuyer Empowerment Loan Program (HELP) – The HELP program assists first time homebuyers with incomes that are slightly higher than most down payment assistance programs will allow. This equity (appreciation) share program offers a deferred loan of thirty (30) years and down payment assistance of up to 10% of the purchase price.
Empower Homebuyers SCC This new thirty (30) year deferred loan program will offer first time homebuyers up to 17% of the purchase price in down payment assistance. This programs has an equity (appreciation) share component in lieu of interest.
City of Santa Clara Below Market Purchase (BMP) program– This affordable housing program offers first time homebuyers the opportunity to purchase a city-designated home at a below market rate price within the City of Santa Clara. Priority levels and income limits apply.
Follow these Steps to Down Payment Assistance and Homeownership!
1) Review Steps to Homeownership
2) Fill out an online Homeownership Assistance Intake Form and receive pre-purchase counseling. Upon submission, allow up to 72 hours to hear from our Homebuyer programs team.
3) All borrowers (including non-borrowing spouses) attend an in-person HUD certified 8 hour Homebuyer Education class through Project Sentinel. Visit Project Sentinel website for upcoming classes.
4) For a Lender referral, contact HTSV to complete your prescreening and find a Preferred Lender for First Mortgage Loan Pre-approval. A Preapproval letter is required to determine Program Eligibility.
5) Not sure your lender is approved? Contact us at email@example.com and we will verify you are working with an approved lender.
How to Apply
Program Eligibility Determination is required prior to purchasing a home.
- After receiving a Lender Preapproval, the first-time homebuyer completes the Homebuyer Assistance Program Eligibility Application and set an appointment to submit along with the required documents.
- Upon eligibility determination, applicants receive a Program Eligibility Determination letter. Applicants can now purchase a market-value home.
After Property Selection and Purchase Agreement Signed-Purchase Loan Application
Lender completes Homebuyer Assistance Program Purchase Loan Application and submits with required documents to Housing Trust within 10 days.
For more information, contact the Homeownership Programs at firstname.lastname@example.org or (408) 436-3450 ext. 301
HOMEBUYER DOWN PAYMENT ASSISTANCE PROGRAMS
Click on the Program Name in the chart below for more information
|Homebuyer Empowerment Loan Program (HELP)||Empower Homebuyers SCC|
|Max. Loan Amount||Up to 10% of the purchase price||Up to 17% of the purchase price|
|Interest Rate||Share of Appreciation||Share of Appreciation|
|Term/ Maturity Date||30 years||30 years|
|Monthly Payments(Principal & Interest)||Deferred||Deferred|
|Program Market Area||Santa Clara County San Mateo County (cities of East Palo Alto and Menlo Park only)||Santa Clara County|
|First-Time Homebuyer Status Required||Yes||Yes|
|8-Hour Homebuyer Education Class Required||Yes||Yes|
|Maximum Gross Household Income Limit||Up to 140% of Area Median Income||Up to 120% of Area Median Income|
|Minimum Credit Score||680||680|
|HTSV Pre-Approval Required||Yes||Yes|
|Maximum Purchase Price of Home||$800,000||$800,000|
|Owner Occupancy Required||Yes- Annual Monitoring/Compliance Check||Yes- Annual Monitoring/Compliance Check|
|First Mortgage Requirement||30 Year Fully Amortized Fixed Rate Mortgage Only- No Adjustable Rate or Interest Only Mortgages Allowed||30 Year Fully Amortized Fixed Rate Mortgage Only- No Adjustable Rate or Interest Only Mortgages Allowed|
|Minimum/Maximum Loan to Value (LTV)||70% / 87%||70% / 80%|
|Combined Loan to Value (CLTV)||Cannot exceed 97%||Cannot exceed 97%|
Housing Trust Silicon Valley does not discriminate against any persons on the grounds of race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, familial status, source of income, genetic information, medical condition, physical disability or mental disability, or any other category protected by law.